Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TVD: Bonzai!


I believe I've had three copies of Japan's 'best-of' 'Exorcizing Ghosts' over the years. Some things you can't put your finger on and some things one needn't touch, but I've been wed to the intangibles of this LP since 1984 and its well-loved physical status reveals as much.

So, I was a bit gutted to hear the news that Japan bassist Mick Karn is suffering from what seems to be terminal cancer - although just last weekend I heard that perhaps the prognosis might not be as dire.

As many working musicians can attest however, medical insurance is rarely a given and in Karn's case doesn't exist. Recently however, having been officially diagnosed in Cyprus where he resides, he's now become eligible for some level of government funded care.

Karn's longtime friend Midge Ure is in the early stages of assembling a benefit concert to raise funds for Mick and his family and at Karn's official web page, donations are being accepted via Paypal to assist with his rising medical bills.

Amidst a week when we're pondering who cares for who and who benefits from what, I'll be making a donation. And I hope you will as well.



Japan - Swing (Mp3)
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids (Mp3)
Japan - Ghosts (Mp3)
Japan - Still Life in Mobile Homes (Mp3)
Japan - Methods of Dance (Mp3)

2 comments:

davyh said...

You've set me thinking with this - what are the albums that have tended to me over the years...

Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira' definitely; 'The Hissing Of Summer Lawns' too; 'Blood On The Tracks', the Cocteaus 'Victorialand' ; 'Power, Corruption & Lies', 'What's Goin On'...

This is a good game.

Keep your bonsai watered.

Ronald said...

Thanks for the post. sadly I heard that Mick Karn died today...

I always was a big fan of his Bass play and these recordings from that Japan live concert you posted where alsways one of my top favs.

R.I.P. Mick