Friday, May 21, 2010

TVD's The Idelic Hour with Jon Sidel


“Who’s Afraid of the Dark?” | The death of Ronnie James Dio feels like a dark and strange muse for this week’s Idelic Hour playlist but upon hearing the sad Dio news, a few things came to mind.

First was that both my parents have outlived the singer of Rainbow. I guess we all will eventually make the journey up “the silver mountain” but “Dio dead at 67” was a reminder of just how temporal we all are. Well at least in a mystical, magic, 70’s heavy metal kinda' way.

Funny, I have more of sentimental connection to Rainbow than many albums in my collection. It’s ironic that Blackmore decided to name his band Rainbow too. I don’t recall seeing any color other than black at a Blackmore show. Save of course his white boots and Strat, everyone wore black (crowd and band!) Maybe Ronnie and Richie never realized their audience was comprised of petty thieves, drugstore cowboys, and juvenile delinquents.

What’s so scary about the “dark?” When I was young “darkness” seemed so cool. Now older, the colors of the Rainbow brighten up my day and warm the soul. With this in mind I set out to create a spirited playlist inspired by thoughts of life and death, darkness, and the color black.

Songs of note: new Black Keys and The Hundred In The Hands on Warp Records as well as revisiting a couple of cool releases from 2009—Telekinesis and Magic Wands.

xosidealer
idelicsounds.com | @sidelic

The Idelic Hour [5/21/2010] (Mp3, 86Mg)

No comments: