Friday, September 17, 2010

The Vinyl District Takeover | Those Darlins


It's our last day hanging out with Those Darlins and in particular Linwood Regensburg who tackles one of those big, cosmic questions as he departs TVD HQ:


Best Album Ever? HA. | These sort of lists are a drag to try to make. How are you supposed to answer something like that anyway? I'm not gonna make that statement that these are the greatest albums of all time or even my favorites or anything like that. I just listen to them a lot.

The Young Rascals - "Groovin" | The Rascals don't seem to get the cred they deserve. So many great ones on this record, "Been Lonely Too Long","Find Somebody" "If You Knew" etc.



Iggy Pop - "The Idiot" | I like to put this on when I'm cooking. Nothing like hearing the drum beat for "Nightclubbing" kick in while you're smashing up garlic. I bet Iggy and David did plenty of cooking when they made this one. After all, they were in Germany.



The Ventures - "Ventures in Space" | Space Surf. Astronaut Rock. Whatever you wanna call it, the Ventures nailed it.





Alex Chilton - "Like Flies on Sherbert" | This album is a big mess and I love it for that. Especially the fire up tape roll sound they left on before some of the tracks. Alex does some great covers, especially amazing are Earnest Tubbs' "Waltz Across Texas" and Jimmy Newman's "Alligator Man." "Rock Hard" has some killer lyrics ....."rock hard...ripples, rock hard.....nipples...."



Rolling Stones - "Beggars Banquet" | I absolutely love the Rolling Stones. I guess most of the human race does at this point. Either way, neither Martin Scorcese nor classic rock radio can ruin "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Street Fighting Man" for me. The only track on this album I ever have to skip is "Salt of the Earth." I wish Keith would have sang the whole song, might seem more believable.



Sound Dimension - "MojoRockSteadyBeat" | A Soul Jazz reissue. These guys are like the Jamaican Booker T and MG's. Backing up whoever recorded at Studio One, and cutting lots instrumentals, the Dimension made what some might refer to as the "Jamaican" sound.


No comments: