Friday, April 16, 2010

TVD's The Idelic Hour with Jon Sidel


Record Store Daydream | With half-damp eyes I stared to the room / Where my friends and I spent many an afternoon / Where we together weathered many a storm / Laughin' and singing 'till the early hours of the morn'.

This afternoon I went to Records LA, a record shop located on an unlikely block in south LA. The joint is owned and run by a cool guy from Detroit named Scott. He sells only vinyl collectibles with a preference towards funk, soul and anything obscure preferably on 45. Heavenly!

Vinyl records, for me, are like old out of touch friend that I’m glad to see. They bring back memories and inspire me to chat about rock n roll days gone by. And why not, Record Store Day is upon us and really nothing much else is making me the happier!

I left with a warm heart and a copy of Jethro Tull’s “A Passion Play”— it was calling me to take her home at 5 bucks.

Appropriately with record shop memories in mind I created this week’s Idelic Hour mix. There are a number of new artists who press vinyl but only a small crop who I would call “vinyl worthy.” Of course anything with Jack White playing guitar, keys or even drums would be worth adding to a cool collection. I like the new Deer Tick, Beach House, and Best Coast while still digesting MGMT’s latest. Simon from Bella Union in London sent me a new album by offbeat, songwriter, John Grant which I will also gladly add to my collection of “old friends”.

Enjoy,

xosidealer

idelicsounds.com | @sidelic

The Idelic Hour [4/16/2010] (Mp3, 87Mg)


No comments: