Wednesday, April 14, 2010

This Saturday! The Record Store Day / Fort Reno Benefit Concert


Saturday, April 17, 2010
is Record Store Day as any reader of this blog knows. It's a day set aside to promote the history and longevity of DC's—and the nation's—indie record stores.

In conjunction with Record Store Day this year, Olivia Mancini, Paul Michel, Tone, and New Rock Church of Fire are playing in support of another DC landmark, the outdoor summer concert institution, Fort Reno. The event runs from 8:00PM - 10:30PM at St. Stephen's Church which is located at 1525 Newton Street, NW, in DC.

Tickets are just $10.00 with all proceeds going toward the overhead for Fort Reno's Summer 2010 Season.

Those of you who patronize one of our local independent record stores on Record Store Day will receive
half off the price of admission with the presentation of a store receipt dated Saturday, April 17, 2010.

As a lead up to Saturday night, we asked Olivia Mancini to give us one of her favorite Fort Reno memories:


"The summer of 1992 was boring. Probably no more or less boring than any other pre-driving summer, but boring nevertheless. By August, I’d finished being a CIT. Summer Musical Theater Workshop was done. I’d probably even read the books on my summer reading list, and when a boy who lived down the street who I didn’t really like called to see what I was doing that night, I was just bored enough to say, “Why? What’s up?

“Fugazi’s playing. At Fort Reno,” he said. And even though I hadn’t really heard too much about either of those things, I said, “Oh. Cool.”

So I met him on the corner of 39th and Morrison and we walked up the hill toward Deal Junior High, making stilted 13-year-old chit chat about our summers and our dogs and our brothers and sisters. We could hear the music as we approached the Fessenden St. side of the park.


When we got there, it was already pretty dark. The music had stopped and a band was on the rickety-looking wooden platform stage, adjusting drum sets and moving around with guitars and lots of wires. We picked our way through the outskirts of families and picnic blankets to the big crowd in front of the stage.

When the music started, I had never heard anything like it. It didn’t even really sound like music to my ears, gently raised, as revealed in a previous TVD post, on pop gems of the 1950s and ‘60s–and showtunes. It was loud and scratchy and fierce and the people around me loved it. They started to move and jump and bang around and, carried away in the moment, I forgot that I was 13 and awkward and at a concert with a boy with whom I had nothing to talk about. And I jumped around too and let the bass rumble in my chest and the kick drum pound in my ears and thought about how if my short life ended right then, I’d be going out pretty darn happy."


On Facebook? RSVP here.

No comments: