Wednesday, September 3, 2008

TVD First Date | ...with Meredith Bragg

FADE IN:
INT: Fancy Bar in Downtown, D.C.
THE VINYL DISTRICT sits alone at a table, anxiously checking his hair in the silverware. MEREDITH enters through the front door, looks around before heading to the table.

MEREDITH:
Damn traffic…

TVD:
(confused)
Sorry, I’m waiting for someone.


MEREDITH:
I know… First Date, right?

TVD:
Meredith?

MEREDITH:
Yeah.

(Awkward pause)

MEREDITH (CONT’D):
I’m a guy.

TVD:
I just assumed…

MEREDITH:
Easy mistake.

TVD:
Yeah.

MEREDITH:
You’re disappointed.

TVD:
No, no, no.

(THE VINYL DISTRICT pushes a bouquet of flowers under his chair with his foot.)

MEREDITH:
I brought you something.

(Reaching in his jacket pocket, MEREDITH pulls out two mp3s.)

MEREDITH (CONT’D):
I made them myself… with help from Chad Clark and TJ Lipple from Silver Sonya.

TVD:
Oh, great.

MEREDITH:
It’s nothing really. They come from my newest record Silver Sonya. All the sounds on it were made from either an acoustic guitar or my voice, but Chad and TJ manipulated them in the studio to see what sort of sounds we could create. People seem to like it.

TVD:
Well, I love songs.

MEREDITH:
(blushing)
I bet you say that to all the D.C. area indie-acoustic singer-songwriters.


TVD:
Pretty much. What are they about?

MEREDITH:
That one is called “Ballad of an Opportunist” -- which is pretty self-explanatory -- and “My Absent Will” is about dream ethics. The title is taken from a French contemporary of Freud.

TVD:
Oh, you speak French?

MEREDITH:
No… I just spend a lot of time on the Internet.

TVD:
Huh. Well, look at the time. I guess I’ll see you around.

MEREDITH:
I’m playing the Black Cat on the 16th of this month with Miracle Fortress and Title Tracks. Maybe we can see each other again?

TVD:
Sure.

(THE VINYL DISTRICT quickly walks out of the bar.)

MEREDITH:
Bye.

(WAITER drops off the check.)

BLACK OUT

Meredith Bragg - Ballad of an Opportunist (Mp3)
Meredith Bragg - My Absent Will (Mp3)

TVD:
You fans of Elliott Smith, and even Harry Nilsson, take note...

3 comments:

Aya Amurjuev said...

lol awww you check your hair in the silverware? :)

John Foster said...

Nice write-up. "My Absent Will" is my favorite Meredith tune. Glad he shared. Get on-board kids!

Jon said...

I should clarify - Meredith himself wrote his piece today as will all of the 'First Dates'. And he did a damn fine job too, didn't he?!