Monday, June 2, 2008

TVD's Daily Wax | Suede "Coming Up"

The beginning of a new beginning or the beginning of the end? I vote for the latter, actually. Somewhere at the time ol' Bernard was smiling while I--a fresh bottle of red having been opened and leafing through a pile of so called Brit mags on my couch--was wincing. And I don't believe its aged for the better...

Suede - Filmstar (Mp3)
Suede - She (Mp3)
Suede - Picnic By The Motorway (Mp3)
Suede - The Chemistry Between Us (Mp3)
Suede - Saturday Night (Mp3)

5 comments:

Uncle E said...

I agree. I have friends that were big fans of Suede and HATE this album I, personally, thought it was their best.
The best damn album David Bowie never made, that's what I say!

Jon said...

Oh, Uncle E...methinks you need to respin the debut LP and 'Dog Man Star'...

Uncle E said...

Ok, I'll give you their first album's their best, but not Dog Man Star (good, but overrated--just my opinion).
I don't know, this album just sounded so optimistic, and DMS sounded so forced. Perhaps it's the departure of Bernard Butler (who was a great guitarist) and the addition of Richard Oakes--more fuzzed out and...sleazy, which is what I always liked about Suede from the beginning.
I know I'm in the minority here...

Anonymous said...

I like Coming Up a lot and think DMS is also really good - I revist these two way more than the first album. One of my top 5 all-time shows was seeing Suede tour Coming Up at the Fillmore in San Francisco (1997?). Brilliant night.
Noah

Anonymous said...

Yes the Fillmore show was brilliant but so was the free outdoor concert the next day- acoustic. OUCH the sunlight hurt my hangover. Coming Up is the beginning of the end for sure. And the second best album is Sci Fi Melodies- that counts as an album right? shamus