Friday, May 2, 2008

TVD | Friday @ Random


Eight years ago this weekend, my friend Anne put a gun to her head and killed herself. I wrote a little bit about it here not too long ago.

Last winter as I stood waiting to get the bartender's attention at the Friday Night Haunt, I looked to my left and spotted a friend of hers and with more than a few in me I said, "Hey, didn't you used to be the drummer in so-and-so band? I think we have a friend in common." "Oh yea," he says as his date begins to gush at him having been recognized as this drummer that people know or something. I say, "Anne"...and it was like...a...light...went...off -- not on. "Don't bring her up, man..." he starts stammering and begins to physically back out of the conversation. "She should be remembered, you know" I press on. He's shaking his head, "No man, no." I'm not sure if it was too painful or just something else entirely.

I suppose I could do this post on Halloween because that was her birthday, but I often recall the goodbyes much more than the hellos.


Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number (Mp3)
Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You (Mp3)
The Posies - Fall Apart With Me (Mp3)
Silver Sun - This 'n' That (Mp3)
Longpigs - On & On (Mix) (Mp3)
Bernard Butler - Stay (Mp3)

4 comments:

dickvandyke said...

Perhaps mate, in the end, she was stronger than he.

Unknown said...

You owe it to memory to never forget somebody you cared for. Pain can only trump love for so long.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Suicide is a great conversation topic for a date. I'd never fuck anyone who wouldn't kill him/herself (afterwards).

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're not getting fucked in general.