Wednesday, October 10, 2007

TVD's Morning Wax



Lead singer/songwriter Justin Currie wrote in the liner notes for the 2003 rerelease of Del Amitri's first LP, "Of course we had a philosophy so strict that it eventually strangled us. No chords, no choruses, no distortion, no synthesizers and definitely no long hair. Melody was God. There are more tunes between the twin guitar parts and bass lines in one backing track from this era of Del Amitri than in every top-line melody I have written since. It was, of course, a crackpot idea, but in my rock-and-roll dotage it holds a lot of charm. Whether anybody else in this age of entertainment will be so disarmed I doubt very much. It is a curiosity I hope, not a monstrosity. Too many f*cking words though?"

Not for me.


Del Amitri - Hammering Heart (Mp3)
Del Amitri - Former Owner (Mp3)
Del Amitri - I Was Here (Mp3)
Del Amitri - Crows In The Wheatfield (Mp3)
Del Amitri - Breaking Bread (Mp3)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worked my way backward to this LP, and while never a favorite in the Del's catalogue, it has been a grower. I can't *not* hear shades of early R.E.M. in the guitars; and while the melodies are nice, for me the arrangements are too busy. Also, even though I think Justin's a damn good poet, he's right – too many words.

Makes me smile, though. Thanks for sharing.

Jon said...

One band you WON'T see making an appearance here at TVD is REM...blech.

Anonymous said...

nice post my dear..but much better if you will put the whole album? im looking for this one for a long time! can you? thanks & happy new year!

Jon said...

Email directly...

Anonymous said...

email sent my friend..thanks.

Imposs1904 said...

Any chance of reposting these? I missed this first time round.

Love to hear the tracks 'cos I remember reading about them at the time in the pages of Record Mirror without ever hearing their music, and because Justin Currie is from the same part of Glasgow - Parkhead - as my Dad.