Friday, November 21, 2008

TVD's Parting Shots

Mega-talented Minnie Murphy returns to TVD after her 'First Date' appearance a few weeks back with a list of some favorites to kick start your weekend. Take 'er away Minnie:

The Steeldrivers – If It Hadn't Been for Love (Mp3)
The Steeldrivers are the best thing going on in Nashville right now! The lead singer Chris Stapleton is an incredible singer and the songs are really powerful. This one is one of my favorites but all of their work is great!

Amy Winehouse – Wake Up Alone (Mp3)
It takes a lot for me to buy an album these days but as soon as I heard Amy I felt a depth from her music that made me want more. I love the line, "This face in my dreams seizes my guts, he floods me with dread."

Aerosmith – Jaded (Mp3)
Steven Tyler is another astounding vocalist. This song just makes you feel good. It's like speeding down a highway in the summertime with the windows down. I love him!

Bjork – Venus As a Boy (Mp3)
Bjork is truly my idol. I think there's a lot of people that don't get her because she is so different but I absolutely love her. This song is so cool because it's almost got a reggae twist and her voice is just amazing!

James Brown – I Got the Feelin (Mp3)
James Brown is such a musical giant. Even if you can't dance you can't help but want to move when you hear this song!

Alison Krauss – Could You Lie (Mp3)
"Could you lie and say you love me just a little?" What a heartbreak. Alison is the best and her arrangements are always gorgeous.

Vince Gill – Pretty Little Adriana (Mp3)
Vince Gill is a living legend in country music. I feel so blessed that he is singing harmony on my first single "Take Me To Texas Tonight." He is such a humble artist who's only motive is blessing people with his music. This song was inspired by the tragic killing of a young innocent girl.

Todd Rundgren – Johnee Jingo (Mp3)
"Johnee Jingo" comes from the "A Cappella" album Todd Rundgren released in 1985. I literally grew up dancing and playing with my brother to this album. Thankfully, my mom was bit of a hippie in her day and had great taste in music. I also love this song because it's about a soldier.

Bob Dylan – I Threw It All Away (Mp3)
Bob Dylan is an awe-inspiring songwriter. This is my favorite song from his country album, "Nashville Skyline."

Jeff Buckley – Grace (Mp3)
Jeff is one of my all time favorite artists and even though his body of work is small due to his unfortunate young death, his work is incredible and seems to make up for that in a way. I still listen to the album and song "Grace" all the time. He was an incredible artist with a beautiful and innovative style.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok! not bad-
nice JB selection