Tuesday, November 30, 2010

TVD Takeover | Carol Bui


As we tipped you to yesterday, Carol Bui is spending the entire week with us in advance of next Wednesday's homecoming show at the Black Cat and she's sharing the music from her own collection that informed her upcoming 2011 release, Red Ship, out on her own Ex Oh Records.

It's Day #2!


The Beatles - Martha My Dear | Hey, I'm not the first to sing about my dogs! This song is one of my favorite McCartney compositions. I remember reading somewhere that the White Album sessions were rather excruciating for everyone involved because the band brought in mostly 'scraps' of music, and much credit has been given to George Martin as a producer for filling them out nicely.



While I love the record, it's evident that many of the tracks didn't receive as much songwriting attention and care as others. I don't know whether to credit McCartney, Martin, or Martha the dog, but I love that a song about something people may consider frivolous turned out to be deliciously satiating rather than incomplete.

EDIT - Wikipedia says that it wasn't written about his dog, but the title was taken from his dog. *shrug*


No comments: