Friday, July 10, 2009

TVD's Parting Shots

So, surprise! I’ve been thinking a little about Michael Jackson lately. I know, I’m nothing if not a pop culture vulture.

And as to take a sweet, sweet dive into Lake Me (the shallow part) I was reminded that MJ was ultimately sandwiched in between a lot of other stuff on MTV after he broke down several million barriers and solidified himself as a pop culture AND African American icon. (And fuck you, Bill O’Reilly. Just suck it.)

So, while MJ was working his magic with my subconscious, I was consciously listening (and watching on MTV) quite a playlist from different corners and found myself, as MJ sang, remembering the time. And perhaps now you shall too.


Aztec Camera - Pillar To Post (Mp3)
Yazoo - Nobody's Diary (Mp3)
Love & Rockets - Ball Of Confusion (Mp3)
Billy Bragg - New England (Mp3)
Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (Mp3)
The Alarm - Marching On (Mp3)
The Icicle Works - Birds Fly (Whisper To A Scream) (Mp3)
New Order - Blue Monday (Mp3)
Gene Loves Jezebel - Desire (Mp3)
Depeche Mode - Everything Counts (Mp3)

5 comments:

Lemmonex said...

Oh how I love depeche mode...thanks for this.

davyh said...

Billy Bragg was on MTV?

Jon said...

I wish. Some of these were merely on my personal hit parade...

davyh said...

Ah.

SteveA said...

I remember the "white MTV" and loved it, as this was simply the music I liked. But when MJ broke out he did it in such an unprecedented way that it left everything before in simple awe....is it safe to say that MJ was the first superstar on MTV?