Wednesday, June 10, 2009

TVD On Your Radio

I was over at Som this past Saturday, my hands flipping through the bins with weird, hypnotic gestures... (Uh, note to self: less praising Jah before heading out for the afternoon...) ...and finally picked up the Sub Pop Vaselines compilation that adorns the top of this post.

It’s a gorgeous 3-LP set complete with a long article/interview conducted with the Scottish pair by none other than my favorite all time Melody Maker contributor Everett True. Despite the aforementioned, my jury’s still out. Sure—Nirvana etc., etc... But...hm. What am I missing here at the moment?


The Vaselines - Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam (Mp3)
The Killjoys - Johnny Won't Get To Heaven (Mp3)
Milkshakes - Ambassadors Of Love (Mp3)
The Flatmates - I Could Be In Heaven (Mp3)
Radio Stars - Nervous Wreck (Mp3)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

are you missing anything? all these older bands get propped up as "legendary" long after the fact when it seems like a lot of the appeal was that they were just this odd little band that played dirty, twee songs. no need to build it into something it ain't.

that said, all possible gushing will commence when the flatmates deluxe reissues (never) get released.

Jon said...

I'm leaning toward agreeing with you, David...