Wednesday, December 10, 2008

TVD's 70's | 1970

Mick and I were having a bit of a back and forth in the comments a little while ago in reference to Phil Spector's production work on The Beatles' 'Let It Be'. Mick's of the opinion that Spector schmalted up the recording and he's hardly alone. McCartney's been unequivocal in his dismay regarding Phil's 'contributions' to the LP and the 'Let It Be - Naked' collection, stripped of Spector's flourishes, was released to set the record straight as it were.

At the time I reluctantly agreed with Mick's opinion. . .but now I might be reconsidering. Just TRY singing 'The Long And Winding Road without the "...dum dum..." right before "...thaaat's leads/to your dooor..." cuz you can't. When I put on the 'Naked' LP I actually miss that bit right there. Phil was onto something. Dare I go out on a limb and suggest that the initial release is truly the definitive release--regardless of Paul's misgivings? I just may...

A note about the updated hand-colored cover to the rerelease of George's 'All Things Must Pass'...normally I'm averse to such retooling. The criteria here at TVD tends to favor the original releases...but this charms me for some reason. Maybe it's because George himself was behind the reimagining of the cover. Maybe because George was AROUND when this came out.

...All things must pass indeed.


The Beatles - The Long And Winding Road (Mp3)
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord (Mp3)
Carpenters - Close To You (Mp3)
BJ Thomas - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Mp3)
Partridge Family - Think I Love You 70's (Mp3)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap TVD you're WAY off on Let It Be- it really is The Beatles nadir. Paul's right and he's still AROUND. Shamus

Jon said...

I'm not RAVING about Let It Be in general by any means. My point is that LIB Naked (without Phil's contributions) isn't revelatory...!

Leona Raisin said...

Since you mentioned the Partridge Family in your post, [Ye Sad Sun] was a Partridge and also on "L.A. Law." Here's her birthday anagram game.

mari said...

I think Paul was against it mainly because he felt it was done behind his back... and that's understandable.

And hi, George.