Friday, June 27, 2008

TVD's Weekend Shots

Earlier this week, DCRTV reported, "'Father' Of FM Stereo Dies--Carl Eilers, often called the "father" of FM stereo radio, has died at age 83. A 50-year employee of Zenith Electronics in Chicago, Eilers co-developed the production of high-fidelity stereo sound over the airwaves. In 1961, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Stereo FM Broadcast Standard, which is still in use." The Chicago Tribune has more here.

I note in his obituary that Mr. Eilers is survived by his wife, Sandy, a son, John; a daughter, Janet Ames; and a sister, Marie Maxwell. But really, isn't he survived by ALL of us who grew up on FM radio?

I wish I would have read this earlier--I would have sent flowers. In lieu of flowers then, a few FM rock radio classics for your Weekend Shots in memory of Mr. Eilers. And frankly, in memory of radio in general. (RIP)


Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes.mp3
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded By The Light.mp3
ELO - Can't Get It Out of My Head.mp3
The Doobie Brothers - China Grove.mp3
Foreigner - Cold As Ice.mp3
Steely Dan - Do It Again.mp3
Alice Cooper - Eighteen.mp3
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle.mp3
Peter Frampton - Show Me The Way.mp3
Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water.mp3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, all these songs are still on radio stations that really did something special. Since the time of these songs, even these artists' new music cannot make a dent for the airwaves. It is sad.

Thank goodness for some great public radio stations out there!

Subservient Experiment said...

I noticed you had posted 'Blinded By The Light', I was wondering if you've seen this: http://healthryder.blogspot.com/2008/10/which-one-are-you.html

I got the biggest LOL from it!

=w=

Dj Cauze One said...

I know this is a long shot but is there anyway you can upload these songs again. I remember jamming all of these with my pops when i was younger and would love to have them to listen to.