Thursday, December 2, 2010
TVD Live Tease | Poor But Sexy, 12/3 at Velvet Lounge w/JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound and The Dirty Bomb
Sick of hearing us recommend stuff all the time? Why not hear it directly from someone who'll actually be taking to the stage on Friday night.
Poor But Sexy's David Brown joins us with:
The Top Five Reasons to Come to Poor But Sexy, Dirty Bomb, and JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound at the Velvet Lounge
So I recently moved away from Washington, DC to New York City, and I've had to take on two jobs to make the rent on our modest little nest here. That doesn't leave me with much time to spend on inspired blog posts about why you should come see my band, Poor But Sexy, at the Velvet Lounge on Friday, December 3rd.
Neverthless, I am pretty psyched to get back down to the District of Columbia for this show, so I am resorting to the most economical form of persuasive writing: the enumerated list. Here goes:
1. New Single: Cherry Delicious | This is track 4 from our record, "Let's Move in Together," which will come out mid-February. Come early to hear it live (we kick off the bill at 10pm sharp.)
2. Cowbell | If you listened to Cherry Delicious, you know that there is a prominent cowbell in there. Eric Axelson from the Dismemberment Plan is going to play it with us at the show. If you thought he was good at bass, just wait until you hear his bovine bell skills.
3. Dirty Bomb | A DC band with a concept album loosely based on the story of Jack Abramoff. I listened to the jams, and they are hot! If you read the interview with songwriter Andy Sullivan from the Express paper, you know that he has actually spent time chasing Jack Abramoff around federal courthouses. It's an inspiring reminder to always write what you know.
4. "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" | Our friends in JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound covered this Wilco song and made a video of it. It's undeniable! There was a contingent of hard core Wilco fans, however, that reacted like Catholic bishops if Tweedy was Jesus and JC Brooks had made 'The Last Temptation of Christ.'
Last time JC Brooks was in DC, they killed it for about two solid hours at the 9:30 club. This is a rare opportunity to see a band that works and works it all night, for the us...the audience. They hit at 12:00 am. Leave your coats in the car, because it's likely to get sweaty.
5. The Walkmen Suck | A band feud seemed like a good way to get the publicity ball rolling, so I just checked some newer Walkmen songs online to verify that they do, in fact, suck, before I slander them. Unfortunately, they don't suck. They are mature, accomplished artists, and apparently passionate performers. Luckily, their show at the 9:30 club is sold out. So we'll see you at the Velvet Lounge.
Posted by Jon at 12:02 PM