Thursday, March 25, 2010

TVD's Record Store Day 2010 Label Showcase | Daptone Records


Our Record Store Day 2010 Label ShowcaseThe Daptone Week—continues today with Mikey “Custodian of Soul.” Mikey's the drummer for Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens as well as a Daptone Soul DJ.


When I was asked to pick my two favorite record stores about 15 from the New York area came to mind. Instead of taking the easy route I decided to pick one store for the home team, and one for the away.

If you are going to buy records in New York you must take a trip out to Massapequa Park (on Long Island) and check out Infinity Records. They are always well stocked in Northern Soul, Funk, and Garage 45’s – many times one of a kind acetates will pop up. If you’re into obscure Swedish Psych Lp’s (like TAGES), well they got that too.



One time when I was playing records at a club a guy came over and looked at what I was spinning - the record happened to be “Could It Be You” by Sharon Scott (on RCA) - “Wow, where did you get that, eBay?” I simply replied, “Nope, Long Island.” Naturally he rolled his eyes and walked away, but the truth is, most of the “BIG” records I have in my box came out of Infinity, and for a small fraction of the dough it would take to buy the same records online. If it wasn’t for Infinity Records I certainly wouldn’t have the collection I do today. It is truly a world class record store.

For the away team I’d have to pick This Way Out. It’s the small record/vintage clothes shop underneath The Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland Ohio.


For me there is nothing better than digging for records on the road, and when you can do so twenty feet from sound check - ABSOLUTE PERFECTION! They are always well stocked with quality Soul and Garage 45’s, as well as an eclectic selection of LP’s. It’s the perfect store for the kind of scratchy gem at a monster value.

Personally, I like my records to have a little wear on them – it gives them character. Anyplace where I can pull out The Music Machine “Double Yellow Line” (on Original Sound) and The Showmen “The Wrong Girl” (on MINIT—and for $5 BUCKS!!!) on the same visit and then head up stairs for a frosty tallboy of Genesee Cream Ale, is gold to me.

Do yourself a favor - CHECK OUT “THIS WAY OUT”!

Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens - What Have You Done (Mp3)
Sharon Scott - Could It Be You (Mp3)
The Showman - The Wrong Girl (Mp3)
Tages - You're Too Incomprehensible (Mp3)

No comments: