Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's The Submarines' Vinyl District!


It's Day #3 of The Submarines' Vinyl District Blog Takeover and John's pulled some tracks that are right up our collective alley:

Tonight I went over to our friend, Jebin Bruni's house. We met Jebin while touring with Aimee Mann last year and he's a super talented keyboardist who's also played with Fiona Apple and Liz Phair. So, when I walked in to his studio the first thing I saw was this!



(Aside from being an analog synthesizer buff, Jebin's also a big vinyl collector.)

Before we lived in Los Angeles, we lived in Boston. I moved there after high school overseas and it's where I started my first "real" bands, worked in coffee shops and eventually ended up slinging packages as a bike messenger. One of the first bands in Boston that I fell in love with was Galaxie 500. They're first single, "Tugboat/King of Spain", was released on a label called Aurora Records, which was started by a fellow named Marc Alghini. Marc also released a 45 that I really liked by a band called Ed's Redeeming Qualities.


...A couple of years ago The Subs recorded a version of "Tugboat".


The Teardrop Explodes. One of my favorite bands. "Soft Enough for You" is a track off of a gate-fold 7" that is apparently the last thing released using the band name. One of my favorite Julian Cope quotes: When asked if the Teardrop Explodes would ever get back together, he said: "Would you ever return to having your mother wipe your asshole?"


Ed's Redeeming Qualities - Lawndart (Mp3)
Ed's Redeeming Qualities - The Boy I Work With (Mp3)
Galaxie 500 - Tugboat (Mp3)
The Submarines - Tugboat (Mp3)
Teardrop Explodes - Soft Enough For You (Mp3)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, ha... I totally remember Galaxie 500! Yes, it is true that Drag was a bike messenger slinging packages in Boston. We worked together and hung out friday nights behind Choice Courier. Can we say Club 006! John you rock! Stay humble man! -Eric/Medveds

Sarina/Legionaire said...

Great stuff! Always wonderful to hear who inspires the artists we listen to today. Will check out these recommendations and thanks for sharing :) - Sarina/Legionaire