Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TVD's One Million Screaming Girls

...or can they?

I've gone on and on in this spot in regard to my eye-gouging disdain for contemporary 'popular' music, so I won't repeat myself again. But I've often felt that the young impressionals out there are currently getting the shaft--to the point where I'm almost beginning sentences with the, "In myyy day..." with that down the nose sneer n' all.

But I do tend to believe that Top 40 radio and singles and pop stardom was far better in the early, classic Tiger Beat era.

Or was it?

Have I glamorized my own brand of heady youth that I'm just not seeing clearly? I mean, I wasn't READING Tiger Beat, but I can point to a particular radio-friendly era with fondness that Tiger Beat covered to a fault. (And it's not a fault that the pre-teen female audience fretted over, I'm sure.)

So, for the coming days TVD'll be asking the question out loud: Was Top 40 radio and singles and pop stardom far better in that Tiger Beat era?

Actually, I'm not sure myself but we'll find out together as we relisten (or listen anew) to some of this stuff.

A confession right up front however, if it wasn't for Sweet's 'Fox On The Run' and the Bay City Rollers' 'Saturday Night' you'd all be staring at a blank screen right about now...


Bay City Rollers - I Only Want To Be With You (Mp3)
Bay City Rollers - Rock and Roll Love Letter (Mp3)
Bay City Rollers - Shang-A-Lang (Mp3)
Bay City Rollers - The Way I Feel Tonight (Mp3)
Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night (Mp3)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My $5 transistor radio was my best friend until Top 40 starting sucking in 1975. But I still like a lot of those 70s bubblegum tracks

WarmWind said...

I love when u feature POP music! That's what it's all about!
Thanks =)