Friday, June 13, 2008

TVD | Friday @ Random

Close to seven years ago now I started my own business--a little three man/one woman advertising agency based in Bethesda, Maryland. And as luck would have it, the doors were first open a mere three weeks after the tragedy of the 9/11 attacks--also known as: the worst possible time to go out on one's own selling the very abstract notion of 'advertising' and 'marketing' to shell shocked industries reeling in their marketing budgets. I lasted two years while two of the partners have continued to press on.

So, see all those advertisers over there to the left? They're one of the main reasons this blog exists. What I wouldn't have given at the time when I had my business for some pixel-happy blogger to come along and champion my efforts or cheerlead for my success story--be it for my ad agency, or now for the vinyl medium I love, or for the success of the mom-and-pop, brick-and-mortar record stores I adore who advertise in that left-hand column over there. It's that simple--the TVD formula is: if you like the Mp3s posted or want the LP we've been discussing in some thread here, you know right where to turn and where these can be had.

Which is a roundabout way of welcoming a new advertiser and supporter of this blog; Renascent - a London-based record label who've reissued some of the best 80's music around--The Sound, The Comsat Angels, The House of Love...and the list goes on. Atypical to this blog's mission, their reissues are CD-based, but their taste is impeccable and we're thrilled to have their support and to be able to offer ours in return. So, below for your Random Friday is a sample of some of the better bands of the era--and now you know right where to go to hear and buy more.

See? The formula really is that simple.


The Sound - Sense Of Purpose.mp3
The Comsat Angels - Now I Know.mp3
The Wild Swans - Revolutionary Spirit.mp3
The House of Love - Shine On.mp3
The Woodentops - You Make Me Feel.mp3

No comments: