Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Uh Huh Her and TVD. Now, that's a night out.

And we're giving away two free tickets...

The Los Angeles-based Uh Huh Her is the brainchild of musician/actress Leisha Hailey, formerly of alt-pop band The Murmurs who currently appears on Showtime's hit series 'The L Word', and Camila Grey, bassist and keyboardist with lo-fi rock band Mellowdrone, who has also worked with Dr. Dre, Busta Rhymes, Melissa Auf Der Maur, and Kelly Osbourne. Introduced through mutual friends, Hailey and Grey began making music together at the beginning of 2007, writing the emotionally charged electro-pop tunes that make up their debut release 'I See Red.' "Vocals were done in the bathroom," Hailey says. Produced by Grey and mixed by Al Clay (who has worked with the Pixies, Frank Black, and Blur), 'I See Red', with its laser-sharp melodies, ethereal harmonies, lush string arrangements, and muscular drums, is a great introduction to the duo.

Uh Huh Her release their new LP 'Common Reaction' (and yes, it is out on vinyl) on August 19. With 'Common Reaction', Hailey and Grey are looking to a horizon that's as expansive as their sound – which is to say, seemingly infinite. "We're getting a chance that a lot of bands aren't," Hailey says. "It's just about us showing up and proving that we can do it."

Uh Huh Her will indeed be showing up at the 9:30 next Wednesday night--and so will the TVD reader with the most well written plea for two free tickets. Really, it's that simple. Fan of the band or fan of 'The L Word' for that matter? Put pen to pixels and let us know. We'll accept your passionate pleas here in the blog comments section up to next Tuesday (5/13) at noon and notify the winner shortly thereafter.

Check out Uh Huh Her here and here and stream tracks from 'Common Reaction' here.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take the tickets.

When I first saw Uh Huh Her was playing the 9:30 club I thought that was the stupidest band name of all time. When I saw the picture of what I originally thought were 2 teenager model types I was even more uninterested.

But then I read this band was an offshoot of "The Murmurs" - a band I always enjoyed. OK, I take back all my earlier responses.

I do still think it is a dumb name.

pjhogan@hotmail.com

kenieffer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kenieffer said...

So, I know it's past the deadline, but I would like to go.

Leisha Hailey has always appealed to me. Since her role in 'All Over Me' to her and The Murmurs. Then she joined the L-Word and completely made that show her own.

Then I hear about a band called 'Uh Huh Her' from a friend a few months back, and find it flattering (and a little weird yes) that the band has used a PJ Harvey b-side/album title as their own name. I love the name of that album. And, of course, PJ Harvey is amazing. So if they like her, the band can't be all that bad.

They were right when they said that the name was the only connection to PJ Harvey, because they have a sound all their own. It's lite and cool. Nothing terribly serious.

Well, I have two friends coming into DC from Richmond just to see them. I would like to accompany them (with a friend!) and expand my musical mind.

Also, it's my birthday week. So it would make my Wednesday! hah.

Anonymous said...

Oh drats ...too little too late. Just in case they're still available ...Plain and simple I find their music fun, flirty, and refreshing. They are sexy and I especially lust after Leisha Hailey. ;)

Thanks, spanks, and enjoy the show.
xo.

dclipstick@yahoo.com